The issue of disappearing airtime has been around for a while now with telcos being on the receiving end, getting accused of “stealing” subscribers airtime.
While we do not stand to defend any telco that maybe be guilty, most of the times subscribers have not played their role in checking whether they are at fault of subscribing to premium services that feast on their airtime.
There are different things that could be using up your airtime and some of the most common ones are:
- Apps running in the background and thus costing you data charges
- Premium SMS services
- Subscription services
- Premium USSD charges especially used for competitions
From the list above, handling apps that run in the background is more of a technical method that one can follow steps and achieve. As for USSD services, you just need to be aware of what you are getting yourself into, same applied to premium SMS services.
However, when it comes to subscription services, one may not really be aware of what is going on. In this article, we shall break down the various ways to check and cancel premium subscription services that may be using up your airtime across various networks:
- Dial *133*1# to block all current and future billing on subscription services
- Dial *136*5#
- Select option 2 (Content Services)
- Select option 2 (Manage Premium Rated Services)
- Select option 2 (PRS Charges)
- Select option 1 (Block PRS Charges)
For MTN users, there are other USSD codes that you need to check to ensure that you are completely safe from subscription services:
There are two ways to go about it:
- Dial 180 and follow the voice prompts
- Alternatively, you could use the Telkom App – Log in to the app and navigate to My Products – Manage – Protect Your Mobile Number, and set it to “On”.
- Still on the app, to manage premium content subscriptions, navigate to My Products – Subscriptions – Content Services.
Use either of the following methods:
- Dial *117# and select Unsubscribe
- Use customer care line 135 to block all future subscriptions
- Send an SMS with the words “STOP ALL” to 31050
If none of the above methods work, kindly contact WASPA (Wireless Application Services Providers’ Association)